Thursday, November 17, 2016

The First Week

I have successfully made it through my first week here in the MTC. 
The first day was super easy, it was just an information overload. We got our companions, and we got to see everyone who was in our district. We have 6 elders including myself and 4 sisters. We also have a district leader. You'd think that there would be district leaders as a companionship. but no, there is just one district leader, and his companion isn't. 
Fortunately, and also unfortunately, that district leader is myself. I was called as the district leader the second night in the MTC after we met our branch presidency. 
It is so much fun, and so stressful at the same time. but I love it. 

I was super worried about the food, because everyone says its disgusting. I dont know if it's some kind of sick joke, but the food is AWESOME!
Three meals a day, and you can have as much as you want. It's great. The only mistake they made is one night they served Taco Bell to everyone.....some people cant stomach that. I could, but the rest of district was a mess. (super funny) 

I can testify of the importance of missionary work. It can change lives. I may have only been here a week. but in the MTC they bring in actual investigators for us to teach. It. Is. AMAZING. We have an investigator named Kristen, and she married a man who is LDS, and she knows the doctrine very well. She didn't agree with a lot of the church policies, and she was missing the spirit. We've been able to teach her this past week, and yesterday, she committed to baptism. We told the staff after the lesson, and they told us that she has been taking these lessons for over a year. and they were ecstatic to hear she committed. The spirit has the conversion power, and its amazing to see it in action. she gets baptized on December 17. AAHHH its makes me cry every time I talk about it. 

The scripture I've really been relying on is D&C 121:7-9

7.  My son, peace be unto they soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;
8.  And then, if though endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes.  
9.  Thy friends do stand by thee, and they shall hail thee again with warm hearts and friendly hands.

Its a good one. 

My companion is a stud, Elder Gerber. The way his mind works is amazing. Our second day, he took a bunch of napkins from the cafeteria and he turned them into a rope. Like, what the deuce?  A rope!  We hung it over the pull up bar and I hung from it, out of napkins. That is just an example of how creative he is and his testimony is strong. I really like him a lot. 

The mission is an incredible experience and I'm looking forward to the next two years. 


--
Party on,
Elder Poppleton




No comments:

Post a Comment