Monday, May 22, 2017

First Week in Cordova, AK


So I have been Transferred to Cordova Alaska. My new companion is Elder Smith. and I freakin love it here. 
There is a small branch here, and the members are amazing. 
but I think my favorite part about Cordova, is how beautiful it is. 
Everywhere is just breath taking. I cant even handle it. 

One of my first days, we went around so I can kind of get an idea of what area I will be serving in, and we watched as this gigantic dog, ran across the road. well, as we got closer to it we soon realized that it wasn't a dog. It was a wolf. a huge wolf. It was beautiful. it was white with a kind of goldish tint along its back. 

There are bald eagles EVERYWHERE! it is so amazing. I think the only downside to Cordova is the fact that it rains....every day...all day. But i will gladly take the rain, for the beauty of Cordova.

Another fun part of Cordova, is the fact that we get to live in the church building. Our beds and dressers and stuff are in one of the classrooms. We use the kitchen and the Bathrooms, and my favorite part is that we get to shower in the baptismal font! IT IS AWESOME!

When I got here, there was literally no work...we had a lot of potential investigators, but that was about it. So we went to work. We set some goals, and hit the streets. 
We went boat trackting, and ran into one of the few potential investigators that we have. 
His name is Seth, and he wears these awesome rose tinted glasses. 
We had an amazing discussion about Isaac and Abraham, and the sacrifice, that Abraham was willing to make. 
His excuse to not coming to church this last Sunday was because he liked to go play pool, and socialize on Saturday late into the night. 

I then decided to ask him, what was he willing to sacrifice to our Heavenly Father. and he replied that he was willing to give his life if he was asked. 
I then pulled the representative of Jesus Christ card, and told him that God asks him to come to church on Sundays. and that meant sacrificing a night of fun, to make it to 9am church the next day. 
He thought for a moment, and agreed to coming to church. 
haha unfortunately he never showed up, and he texted us later and apologized. 

I learned a lot from that lesson though, and it really got me thinking. 

What am I willing to sacrifice for my Heavenly Father? 

as I contemplated this, I have realized how much my testimony of the Savior has increased. 
I challenge all of you to ask yourself the same question. 
what are you willing to sacrifice? 
find it, and do it. even if it is just putting down the phone for like 10 minutes to read your scriptures. that is a huge sacrifice to some of you ;) but you can do it.

I know that as we sacrifice things, we will get something better in return! 

--
 
Elder Cody Poppleton

No comments:

Post a Comment